REVIEW: Nikon Coolpix S800c
Android-powered compact camera tries for best of both worlds
Areas I find limiting about the camera
- Outdated Android OS 2.3.3. Popular apps like Instagram and Chrome browser do not support the Gingerbread OS.
- The camera is primarily an Android device in a compact camera form factor. There is no direct camera button to activate the camera function quickly when the camera is in Android mode.
- The camera mode doesn't offer a lot of functions that are available in most Nikon compact cameras. Only 10 Scene modes, 5 special effects, no PASM modes.
- Toggling between camera playback mode and capture mode takes a bit more time, because they are effectively 2 independent apps written in Android OS.
- There is no volume buttons. So you cannot adjust volume easily while running Android apps.
- You can't use the camera when charging. If you cancel the charging message when the cable is plugged, the camera will be turned on but it will not charge, nor can you turn off the camera until you unplug the cable.
- The Wi-Fi function seems to have compatibility and stability issues during my review period. Oddly, the camera does not detect my home network D-Link access point N-router.
- The battery drains rather quickly when using the Android mode extensively.
- Poor speaker quality, no worse than most compact cameras in the market.
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn